Roll-Your-Own California Rolls.
You can cook Roll-Your-Own California Rolls using 16 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Roll-Your-Own California Rolls
- You need of For the rice:.
- You need 2 cups of rice cooked to package instructions (sushi rice is ideal, but I used jasmine yesterday because it's what I had on hand).
- It’s 5 Tablespoons of sushi seasoning vinegar.
- You need of For the krab:.
- Prepare 1 pound of surimi (krab), rough chopped. (If it's previously frozen, you'll want to defrost completely and squeeze out any excess water before chopping.).
- It’s 1/2-2/3 cups of mayonnaise (If you have Kewpie mayo, which is the kind they usually use in sushi restaurants, then skip the sugar below.).
- It’s 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- You need of All the rest of the stuff you'll need:.
- You need 1 of large ripe avocado (or 2 medium) cut into 1/4" thick strips vertically.
- You need 1/2 of an English (hothouse) cucumber, seeded and cut into thin 3 or 4 inch long strips.
- You need of Korean style seasoned and toasted seaweed (see pic below).
- Prepare of Optional:.
- Prepare of toasted sesame seeds.
- Prepare of wasabi and soy sauce.
- Prepare of sushi ginger.
Roll-Your-Own California Rolls step by step
- Cook the 2 cups of rice according to package instructions, fluff the rice and let it cool slightly (but not completely) before adding your sushi seasoning vinegar and mixing it thoroughly throughout the rice in a fluffing kind of motion. You don't want to stir to mix because your rice will turn into a gummy mess. Set aside..
- Mix your krab ingredients together and set aside..
- Cut your cukes and avos and set aside..
- If you get the large gim or toasted nori, cut the sheets in half widthwise..
- Lay it all out on the table and let people assemble, roll, and eat. It doesn't have to be a neat restaurant-style handroll roll. Just roll it up like a burrito and enjoy with wasabi and soy sauce and some sushi ginger if you like. 🙂 Alternatively, you can just make easy rice bowls with all the ingredients and either omit the nori or tear it up in small pieces and sprinkle it on top..