Sweet Potato and Chestnut Stuffing / Dressing.
You can have Sweet Potato and Chestnut Stuffing / Dressing using 10 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato and Chestnut Stuffing / Dressing
- Prepare 10-15 of large, fresh chestnuts (250-350 g).
- Prepare 1 of medium sweet potato/yam.
- Prepare 1/2 of large French baguette or a smaller one about 40 cm (it was 200 g by weight).
- Prepare 1 stalk of celery.
- You need 1/2 of onion.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of butter or olive oil.
- You need 1 Tbsp of rubbed sage.
- You need 2 tsp of fresh or dry rosemary (optional).
- Prepare 240 ml (1 cup) of Vegetable or chicken stock, more if needed.
- It’s to taste of salt & pepper.
Sweet Potato and Chestnut Stuffing / Dressing step by step
- If possible, let the baguette dry out a day in advance. Cut into cubes, put in a try and over with a cloth for 12-24 hours. Alternatively, just dry them out in an oven by spreading the bread cubes out on a baking sheet and baking for 10-15 minutes at 300°F/150°C or until dry. Turn them a couple times during the baking..
- Preheat oven to oven at 400°F/200°C. Cut an X in each chestnut..
- Roast in an oven for 15 minutes. Let cool until you can touch them and then peel and chop. OR you can boil for 20 minutes, drain, let cool and then peel..
- Chop onion and celery into small pieces. Cut the sweet potato into small cubes..
- In a sauce pan or frying pan, melt the butter (or heat olive oil) and saute the sweet potato, celery and onion until soft but not brown..
- Add the chopped sage, rosemary and a couple sprinkles of salt & pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes..
- Add 120 ml (1/2 cup) broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft and the broth is absorbed..
- Put the bread cubes in a bowl and add enough broth to moisten them – about 120 ml (1/2 cup)..
- Add chestnuts then toss with the sweet potato, onion and celery mix..
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Spread everything in a casserole dish or baking pan with sides. If you like your stuffing to be more "juicy" and moist, you may want to add more broth to the pan so there's extra for the bread to soak up..
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes until slightly browned at the top..